This blog is an online expression of my thoughts, about my country and how my life revolves around her. The dream to live here forever and involve myself to make a change about things which matter to me. My love for motorcycles and touring my country on them. My passion for being in the midst of people who make up our country.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

9th Auto Expo

A seemingly never-ending wait for two years ended with the 9th Auto Expo held from 10th to 17th January, 2008 in Delhi. I was there for three days during business hours to catch up on whats hot and whats not in the Indian automotive scene. I will chop off the crap and get straight to business. Lets start with the motorcycles, from the biggest manufacturer to the smallest ones.

Hero Honda:

What was there: Everything they sell and dated Honda Africa twin.

What wasnt there: Anything they dont sell apart from the Africa twin.

What was I expecting to see: A fuel injected Karizma *sigh*!

Remarks: The thunderings from Mr.Munjal not withstanding, its clear Hero Honda doesnot exist without Honda support. I mean c'mmon, they dont manufacture engines neither do they have a strong enough R & D to do it. HHML fans, shift your bases because Archeriostichoas predicts that this company will be lost to oblivion in not so distant future.

Bajaj/KTM/Kawasaki:

What was there: KTM Adventure 990, KTM SuperDuke, KTM Duke, Kawasaki ZX10R, Kawasaki ER6N, Kawasaki ZX6R, Kawasaki Ninja 250R, Kawasaki Vulcan, Kawasaki Z1000, Bajaj Pulsar 220(chromed..yukk), Pulsar 200, XCD Sprint, Blade and Discover 150.

What wasnt there: You kidding me!

What was I expecting to see: Read "What was there", ofcourse they exceeded my expectations.

Remarks: Damn good show BAL! Now, before you launch the CBUs, for heaven's sake revamp that service structure of yours, else we gonna see lodsya Ninja and KTM owners cursing you. And 2.5 lacs for a 30bhp Kawasaki twin, go ahead and sell it to your managers and their kids.


TVS:

What was there: Apache RTR, Apache RTR Fi, Apache RTR Fi with customer performance kits, Flame and some other hybrid concepts.

What wasnt there: The ABS equipped Apache(?) 200cc.

What was I expecting to see: C'mmon TVS, dump those twin rear shocks for the RTR Fi and go the monoshock way! You know you are playing hard at the premium segment and you gotta match up your competition.

Remarks: No non-sense, typically TVS, they didnt showcase much stuff which they wouldnot sell. But the competition is really moving fast and TVS better catchup fast!

Kinetic:

They were not present in the Auto Expo, apparently they cannot afford it. I find it hilarious though, I have a solution, stop sending those faggots of automobile(most of them) to all paid trips to South East Asia to ride 125cc scoots.

Royal Enfield:

What was there: Two tents, sleeping bags and two used AVL 350 and 500 respectively, no kidding here.

What wasnt there: Everything else they sell and would be selling in future.

What was I expecting to see: Unit gearbox equipped 350s and the newly developed fuel injected engine.

Remarks: Someone somewhere needs to set this company back on track. These morons cannot get away like this by treating its home market, India like second grade citizens. The way Royal Enfield treats Indians reminds me of the Britshers(ironic)! They can showcase the UCEs and fuel injected engines in the Birminham NEC and not in India. By the way, they were preaching riding spirit, promoting motorcycle tourism, safe riding, sounds nice otherwise but pure cowdung in the perspective of the auto expo.


Honda and Suzuki:

In short, they were showing off their big bikes and selling timid 125s and 150s in India! Heat, Jeus, modded Unicorn concepts with the Hayabusas and Fireblades. Nothing to write home about, the Japs are holding their cards to their chests.


Yamaha: Dedicated post coming on YMIL shortly(in a day or two)

If you are wondering, where are the photos, pick your lazy ass up and search the internet, its full of them!

No comments:

About de Archer

My photo
New Delhi, Delhi, India
Pictographic evidence of motorcycle travels in India.

eXplore

Google